Our Board of Directors
James P. Daley
Vice President, Administration
Alastair C. Torrance
New South Wales, Australia
Vice President, Technical
Richard M. Hosley, Jr.
Connecticut Explosives Inc.
J. Smith & Associates, LLC
John W. Eloranta (Jack)
Eloranta & Associates Inc.
J. Winston Forde
Goal: To recommend a recipient for an Annual Award of Merit and other awards and to function as a mechanism for administration of these awards, which it believes promote the objectives of the society. Chair: Richard Hosley, Jr.
Blasters’ Training Committee
Goal: To promote training for the benefit of members and others who apply scientific principals and techniques as they pertain to the use, handling, manufacture, transportation and storage of explosives. Chair: Larry Mirabelli; Board Liaison: Janeen Smith
Chapter Development Committee
Goal: To serve as liaison between chapters, the ISEE executive director and the board of directors. The committee works with chapters that are forming and others that may be having difficulties with operations and programs. One representative from each chapter, usually the chapter president, serves on this committee. Chair: Cam Thomas; Board Liaison: Kurt Oakes
Conference Advisory Committee
Goal: An ad hoc committee developed to serve as a liaison for members to discuss suggestions for changes to the annual conference related to the non-technical activities and make recommendations to the executive director and the board of directors. Chair: John Watson
Conference Program Committee
Goal: To plan and organize the program of technical presentations at the annual conference. Chair: Kevin Hachmeister; Vice Chair: Lon Santis
Goal: To monitor and propose changes to the organization’s key governance documents. Chair: Braden Lusk
Goal: To encourage the teaching of explosives engineering in an accredited post-secondary school or two- or four-year university. Chair: Enrique Munaretti
Goal: To be a sounding board for ethics concerns from members and to implement a monitoring system to handle inquires. Chair: James Daley
Explosives Security Committee
Goal: To review standards and regulations regarding the security of explosives in the industry. Chair: Janeen Smith
Foundation Scholarship Committee
Goal: To support the education goals of the SEE Education Foundation. Scholarships are awarded to applicants who meet the following: Currently pursuing technical undergraduate, graduate or doctorate degrees in fields of education related to the commercial explosives industry; Must have completed at least one year of an accredited post secondary program; Able to demonstrate financial need. Chair: Travis Davidsavor
Government Affairs Committee
Goal: To review proposed legislation and regulations; make recommendations to the board of directors regarding positions to be taken and policies to be adopted with respect to proposed legislative and regulatory issues; suggest courses of action to be taken with respect to the need for legislative or regulatory action; and implement board of directors decisions. Chair: Lon Santis
Goal: To implement the promotion of international relations and affiliations with organizations in the explosives field and related industries. Chair: Simon Tose; Vice Chair: Clifford Lim
ISEE Standards Committee
Goal: To develop and maintain standards consistent with the policies established by the board of directors. Chair: Ken Eltschlager; Vice Chair: Randy Wheeler; Board Liaison: Kurt Oakes
Goal: To promote membership in the society and make recommendations in the interest of members and ISEE. Chair: Daniel Leach; Vice Chair: Tom Jenkins
Goal: To monitor and recruit candidates for the board of directors with a focus on strategic planning and resource needs for the governance of the organization. Chair: Michael Koehler
Goal: To consider the long-range objectives for the society to determine the effectiveness with which the organization’s objectives are being met. Chair: Alastair Torrance
Public Education and Public Relations Committee
Goal: To make recommendations regarding society activities that focus on raising public awareness, understanding and appreciation of the explosives industry. Chair: Keith Henderson; Vice Chair: Phyllis Hasser
Goal: To review and recommend to the board of directors the policy to be established respecting the technical content of the official publication of the society (Journal of Explosives Engineering). Chair: William Reisz
Technical, Safety and Environment Committee
Goal: To develop recommended methods, forms, procedures, terminology and data related to explosives engineering. Chair: William Reisz
- To conduct a meeting at the ISEE annual meeting; to form work groups within the section to examine drilling issues.
- To develop standards for drilling practices.
- To exchange information about drilling through the Journal of Explosives Engineering and the ISEE website.
- To submit papers on drilling safety, controls accuracy and new technologies for a drilling session at the annual conference.
Chair: Jim Peterson; Board Liaison: Kurt Oakes
- To conduct a meeting at the ISEE annual meeting.
- To form work groups within the section to examine seismograph issues.
- To develop standards for seismograph use.
- To exchange information about the blast vibration field through the Journal of Explosives Engineering and the ISEE website.
- To establish standards for seismograph equipment calibrations, standard protocol for testing and performance and user guidelines.
Chair: Kristin Kolden
- To organize the International Symposium on Rock Fragmentation by Blasting
- To develop and produce the Blasting & Fragmentation Journal with papers focusing primarily in the area of fragmentation by blasting from scientists and engineers from around the world.
Chair: Jose Sanchidrian; Board Liaison: Bill Reisz
Emerging Professionals Section
- Grow new industry professionals’ involvement in the society by engaging, retaining, and mentoring new members through providing professional networking opportunities and guidance.
Chair: Tristan Worsey